Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) Physician, Providence Medical Group
OBGYN Physician, Providence Medical Group
We are seeking a dynamic Physician with expertise in Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) Physician to join the rapidly growing Providence Medical Group in Humboldt County, California. The successful candidate will join a well-established and rapidly growing team that provides comprehensive services in an outpatient clinic and in the newly remodeled Child Birth Canter at the Providence St. Joseph Eureka Hospital.
- Title: Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN)
- Location: Eureka, California
- Practice: Providence Medical Group of Humboldt County
- Setting: Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka Child Birth Center
Obstetrics & Gynecology (OBGYN) Position Overview
Providence Medical Group has an excellent opportunity for a full-time physician who is board-eligible/board-certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN) to join a well-established outpatient team in Eureka, California. In this role, you will work with a dedicated and compassionate team while providing a mix of inpatient and outpatient care. St Joseph Eureka Hospital has a recently remodeled Childbirth Center that sees an average of three to seven deliveries per physician each week. There are many support services in place including experienced Certified Nurse Midwives, a strong team of Anesthesiologists, Pediatric Hospitalists, and a Level II NICU. This position also offers an opportunity to educate Family Medicine residents as well. Enjoy being part of a compassionate and mission-driven team located in the beautiful and welcoming coastal community of Eureka, California.
Position Role & Key Responsibilities:
- Clinic Hours are Monday to Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Ideal candidates will be eager to support a compassionate and mission-oriented organization working to provide every patient with exceptional care.
- Collaborate with referring physicians and other healthcare professionals to provide coordinated care.
- Medical Doctor – MD, DO, MBBS, or Equivalent.
- Board Certified/Board-Eligible in Obstetrics and/or Gynecology (OBGYN).
- Board-Certified or Board-Eligible in Family Medicine with Obstetrics.
- Valid California medical license or eligible for licensure in the state of California.
- Demonstrated commitment to clinical excellence and patient-centered care.
What We Offer:
- A collegial and supportive environment within a growing and well-established Obstetrics & Gynecology team.
- State-of-the-art facilities and technology at Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka.
- A competitive compensation package, including comprehensive benefits.
- Teaching opportunities with the Family Medicine residents.
- Opportunities for professional growth, including continuing medical education and leadership development.
- A balanced professional lifestyle in the scenic and vibrant community of Eureka, CA.
- H1B Visa Candidates are encouraged to apply.
- New Graduates are encouraged to apply.
- PSLF – Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Potential for Leadership in OBGYN
The ideal candidate will have an interest in playing a key role in the growth and further development of the OBGYN program. Numerous opportunities for leadership exist for qualified candidates, including:
- Associate Medical Director, Acute Labor and Delivery.
- Associate Chief, Division of OBGYN.
- Director of Robotic Surgery (newly acquired da Vinci Surgical Robot arrived in November 2023).
Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) Program
Our personalized approach to obstetrics and gynecology (OBGYN) puts our patients at the center of everything we do. So, whether you’re giving birth, or looking for the best diagnostic treatment and care for your gynecological needs, we are available to help diagnose your condition and design a customized treatment plan that’s right for you.
Childbirth Center at Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka
At Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka’s Childbirth Center, we offer family-centered maternity care that’s designed to focus on your needs and your baby’s. We’re recognized by the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative for our work to reduce the number of unnecessary cesarean sections. Our trial of labor after cesarean (TOLAC) and vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) services contribute to these efforts.
We have the only Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) on the North Coast. Staffed with specially trained healthcare professionals and offering advanced technology, our NICU provides your newborn with highly specialized care if the need arises.
Our NICU nurses have advanced training in neonatal resuscitation, stabilization, and continued care for ill or premature babies. We provide neonatal transports throughout Humboldt and Del Norte counties with specialized neonatal nurses from our NICU.
We also participate in the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital San Francisco Perinatal Outreach Program. Our partnership with UCSF provides:
- Around-the-clock clinical consultation with maternal-fetal medicine specialists and neonatologists
- Continuing education courses for our team
- Emergency response drills and simulations
St. Joseph Hospital Eureka
St. Joseph Hospital is a regional medical center that has a Level 3 Trauma designation, advanced cancer care and is the sponsoring institution for a Family Medicine Residency Program. Come to the beautiful and welcoming coastal community of Eureka, on the Redwood Coast and enjoy an outstanding quality of life in the heart of northern California.
A number of organizations have given St. Joseph Hospital, Eureka and its many departments high rankings. Among them, we are accredited by The Joint Commission. In addition our hospitals hold the following distinctions for various services:
Maternity Awards and Recognitions
- 2023 Cal Hospital Compare Honor Roll for Maternity
- Named on the California Health and Human Services Agency’s Maternity Honor Roll 2019 and 2020
- 2020 Blue Cross/Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care
- 2020 Cal Hospital Compare Honor Roll for Maternity and Opioid Care
- Recipient of the Superstar Award: Small Birth Volume Hospitals by the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC), 2023
Better Birthing Coalition to Address Health Inequities
In 2021, supported by With/In Collaborative, a human-centered design firm, Providence Humboldt County launched the Better Birthing Coalition to address health inequities that were identified in a community needs assessment. The Better Birthing Coalition is a local partnership between the K’ima:w Medical Center and Providence St. Joseph Hospital, working with local tribes to build relationships and increase trust between the hospital in Eureka and the Native communities it serves.
The group’s goal was to shift perinatal services so that Native birthing people feel more seen, heard, and respected as patients at St. Joseph Hospital. One of the first steps was to create a design team that not only included medical practitioners from the St. Joseph Hospital Labor and Delivery unit but also included equal representation of people that identified as Native American, lifting community voices and centering the experiences of those the hospital was trying to serve.
“As an organization that strongly values diversity, equity, and inclusion, we at St. Joseph Hospital believe in continuing our partnership with our Native communities to develop healthcare policies and practices, and work to build trust and accountability into the system,” said Martha Shanahan, director of Community Health Investment, Providence in Humboldt County.
The core work of the Better Birthing Coalition was to conduct extensive interviews with Native parents to identify the challenges in their birth experience, and then consider solutions for improvement. One of the main issues highlighted was a California state law that required the registration of a newborn within 10 days of birth. Many Native families follow a cultural tradition of dedicating the 10th day of a newborn’s life to a sacred naming ceremony, a tradition that conflicted with existing state law. Using input and data gathered from local community members and Native-led organizations, Providence Humboldt County advocated for legislation at the state level to extend the time for families to register the birth of a child from in CA from 10 to 21 days. After months of effort, AB 2176 was introduced by Assemblymember Jim Wood, D-Santa Rosa. It was unanimously passed by the state assembly and senate and signed into law by Governor Newsom in June 2022.
Humboldt County, California
Set among redwood trees on the shore of the pristine Humboldt Bay, Eureka is a family-friendly enclave that offers daily flights to/from San Francisco and Los Angeles. The seat of Humboldt County (pop 150,000), Eureka is a designated California Cultural Site for its commitment to arts, culture, and historical preservation. Travel authority Lonely Planet named this seaside city its top recommended destination in 2018. If you love surfing, ocean kayaking, fishing, biking, and hiking, you’ll thrive here.
Humboldt County, located on the North Coast of California, offers a unique blend of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and a strong sense of community. The area features stunning landscapes, including redwood forests and a rugged coastline, as well as plenty of activities such as hiking, fishing, and surfing. Humboldt County is known for the Cal Poly Humboldt University, its arts and culture scene, and sustainable living is encouraged due to the region’s agricultural heritage.
Providence Medical Group
Providence Medical Group is the premiere multi-specialty group, located within minutes of St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka, California. Providence Medical Group provides high-quality care for Humboldt County and surrounding communities. Our regional group has nearly 500 physicians/APCs and a tradition of excellence that extends from routine care to leading-edge surgical procedures. The Humboldt market has 20+ clinics and specialties. Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka has served the community for more than 100 years and along with Redwood Memorial Hospital in Fortuna is staffed by dedicated professionals who provide compassionate care to all.
Providence Health System
At Providence, we use our voice to advocate for vulnerable populations and needed reforms in health care. We are also pursuing innovative ways to transform health care by keeping people healthy and making our services more convenient, accessible, and affordable for all. In an increasingly uncertain world, we are committed to high-quality, compassionate health care for everyone – regardless of coverage or ability to pay. We help people and communities benefit from the best healthcare model for the future – today.
Together, our 117,000 caregivers (all employees) serve in 51 hospitals, 1,000 clinics, and a comprehensive range of health and social services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
As a comprehensive healthcare organization, we are serving more people, advancing best practices, and continuing our more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Delivering services across seven states, Providence is committed to touching millions of more lives and enhancing the health of the American West to transform care for the next generation and beyond.
Providence Health System – Facts & Statistics
How to Apply
Providence Health Systems has retained the services of Academic Med to assist with this strategically important physician recruitment effort. Please direct your applications, inquiries, or nominations to:
• Jim Hagood, email@example.com
• Gentry Zacheis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Providence Medical Group is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Providence complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude people, or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, or sexual orientation. Providence also provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, as well as free language services to people whose primary language is not English.
At Providence, our strength begins with understanding. We take time to see, hear, and value everyone who walks through our doors—patient or caregiver, family support person or volunteer. Working with us means that regardless of your role or goals, we’ll support you in your career, so you can bring your best to work every day and help our communities flourish for years to come.
Want to learn more about Humboldt County and the Providence Medical Group? Visit some of the links below:
- Providence Medical Group | Sonoma, Napa and Humboldt County
- St. Joseph Hospital – Eureka | Providence
- Providence Health System – About Us
- Visit Eureka | Real. Authentic. Different.
- Visit Humboldt, California’s Redwood Coast
Want to learn more about some of the exciting physician job opportunities just like this role for a OBGYN with the Providence St. Joseph Eureka Child Birth Center? Check out some of the job posts listed below:
- Job Post – Interventional Cardiologist, Providence Medical Group in Eureka, CA
- Job Post – Director of Multiple Myeloma, Swedish Cancer Institute in Seattle, WA